Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Lenten Journal: The First Entry

Note: I had wanted to post this first entry into my Lenten exploration, so here it is. Sorry it’s a bit late, I will try and follow up with a few more as they strike me as worth sharing.  I've never done lent before, so this is somewhat of an exploration of new territory for me, but I am very excited about it and excited about exploring how Christ might use it to bring me closer to him.  If you are like me and have either been a Christian for a long time, or are a new believer, but have never given lent a serious try, please join us in this exploration and see how God can use nature, fasting, and his Word to draw us closer to him!

Ash Wednesday 3/5/2014: Today I kicked off my exploration of lent; I have started with my fast from alcohol which will go on for two weeks. I also started a devotional and my “wilderness journey” hopefully all of these things will help me to spend time with Christ and listen to his will for my life as he continues to create in me a clean spirit. 

Devotional: Today in my devotional I read Joel 2:12-17 and Matthew 6:16-21 It was a good reminder of the purpose of fasting, which is to focus on the Lord, to humble your self before him and him only. We should not boast of our sacrifice or try to make ourselves seem holy to others. It should be a solemn time of reflection and prayer between my savior and me. Also it should be a time of reflection on sin and what Christ did to take care of it and what that now means to me. I think it is important for me to examine my life and appreciate the gravity of what Christ has done for me and now to live by it, to cast aside the sin that he has given me a way to escape from. 



Wilderness Journey: Today for my wilderness Journey I went for a walk to the coffee shop and then the park a few blocks away, sat and read my devotionals on a bench and then walked down a few streets back to my apartment. It was good, I am so thankful to live so close to all of this, that I can walk outside and just enjoy the historical area and the beautiful houses and parks. There were some birds, I'm not as well versed as Sarah to be able to tell you what they were, but I appreciated their company all the same. This is just a taste of nature, a park in the middle of an urban setting, but we can find the nature of God in everything around us if we are able to pay attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment